Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Sunday I decided to work on the flower garden quilt. Amazing even to myself, I was rolling along at a pretty good rate. Watching Tv and sewing to my hearts content. Before I knew it, I was putting a bunch of "flowers" together and deciding that instead of 8 and 7 flowers in a row, it wasn't big enough for my taste so I went to 8 and 9 per row. I laid them out, with colors in mind and then started to piece them together in strips. You can not be lettting your mind raom while piecing these ladies! So I have two rows done and now sewing them together! Unfortunately, now I will have to cut and make more "flowers" as I have added one to each row! Oh well, better to be happy with the finished product and make a handful more! I had laid it out on a queen and decided even if it might be for a full-sized bed, it can also be used for a queen.
I knew a beginner that asked me how one should go about piecing them; should one do all the basting and then start putting them together, or should you make all the ones for just one "flower" and then do one at a time. Ladies, I can't wait that long! Just thinking I baste them all before seeing a few put together...no way! Some start with the center and add a row around (usually a solid fabric), then a row around that is usually a print, then a solid color (in my case a cream muslin). Is there a "right" way? As long as the quilt gets done.

Deb
aka
The Quilt Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment