Monday, March 23, 2009

Grandmothers Flower Garden


I have been working on the Maple leaf (Autumn leaf) applique quilt. I think I am supposed to have at least 72 blocks for the quilt, I have 44 appliqued. I then have to go back and embroider the veins in the leaf as well as the stems. I figured I can applique about a block in 20 minutes, so it won't be long and the first stages of the quilt will be accomplished!


The quilt I have posted here today was a kit; the pieces were precut. Unfortunately, I started it and then ended up packing it away for years. The bad thing is that I didn't pack it in the right container. When I remembered I even had the quilt pieces..., I found that most had to be thrown away. Lucky for me I had enough to make a smaller version of the quilt. Since then, I have started on another "Grandmother's Garden". Thanks to that first quilt, I learned from experience. I am glad I searched for a better way of putting that kind of quilt together by using paper piecing(English Patchwork)! I can't believe I did this quilt without paper piecing!!!
The one I am doing now is a very slow process. I need 59 "flowers"!!! I have only 19 "flowers" done or almost done. I tend to work on this quilt when I get an urge to work on it or I want a "take-along" quilt project when I go visiting or on long trips when I am a passenger.
The quilt above ended up being; 52 1/2" x 65". I think it was supposed to be a twin sized quilt. Instead I throw it over a chair or the love seat.
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment