Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Old Quilt Tops




I especially enjoyed handquilting the "LoneStar" quilt. There was more room to use my creativity using circles with feathers. This lady really got a good deal on the handquilting as I charged a fee for doing the whole quilt, sight unseen. A lesson I learned from; if one is going to handquilt a quilt top, one should ask to either see the quilt or a picture first. Doing anything less would have not done justice to the quilt itself. Whoever pieced the quilt, did so by hand, not by machine, since both were heirloom quilt tops, one must be in keeping with what the other woman started. I also had to try and fix the quilt in many places, trying not to take away too much from the original piecing.




The other quilt was just a Fourpatch, for being a simple quilt, whoever handquilted it, was not very experienced, really poorly done. Maybe she was a child or inexperienced quilter. The colors were nice though. It was crooked and pulled every which way; a real challenge. Once again, I learned that I should have looked at the quilt more closely.
Not pictured here was the "Kansas Dugout" quilt. The fabrics were, well, not something I would have picked...When finished, it wasn't too bad.
All the quilt tops came from a lady who inherited a bunch of quilt tops from someone, I think, in her family. I never meet the lady, instead a friend of hers was the one who not only brought me the quilts, but also picked them up. She was given the last quilt; "Kansas Dugout".
Experience, is a good teacher! But, doing that Lonestar quilt was pure joy!
Deb

2 comments:

  1. Deb what a gorgeous quilt to work on..I love hand quilting and so glad to see that it is a joy for you as well.. yes..it seems that we learn the hard way on many things..but we only have to be shown once..LOL
    gorgeous..would love to see a close up of your quilting if you have time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Although this quilt is gone, I can and will take close-ups of other future quilts. I will be doing some grand handquilting on the Amish baskets quilts. Maybe my lovely daughter will be gracious enough to take picture of that so you can see close-ups!
    Once again, thank you!

    quilt lady!

    ReplyDelete