Saturday, February 14, 2009

Vintage Butterfly Quilt!


This quilt has a story! While I was working as the Head Librarian at the Toluca Public Library, I met some real nice quilters!


One of these ladies, asked if I would take quilts that had been started, but not finished. Ladies, I would never turn down such a blessing as this! This was one of the unfinished quilts! This is the real thing; old vintage fabrics! There were a few butterflies that had the embroidery donearound them, other than that, she was all mine to do. With black embroidery thread,and the blanket stitch, I proceded to slowly work on the quilt. All or most of this quilt was cut out, so that was a real treat! But, like most quilter's, I was busy with other things and it took years to finally finish sewing. The whole top is totally handquilted, no sewing machine here!


One lady that is friends with my father-in-law, would watch as I worked on it. I knew she admired the quilt with the bright colors. And when my poor little "Misty" got ill, she is the angel who went with me to the vet. At the time money was real tight and she helped me pay for the vet bill, didn't want the money back. Unfortunately, my little gal didn't make it. But, I never forgot what that woman did for me. When I finally finished the quilt top, I showed it to her. She sat there on one Easter, "petting it" , admiring it and looking like se was wishing it could be hers. So, I went over and told her I was giving it to her, because one should get paid back for showing a kindness. She wanted it bigger, so she went out and we matched the bright yellow up and will be sewing a nice border of yellow around the quilt later.


She brought me an heirloom quilt top and I quilted it for her for free. I do not have the picture on my web site yet. It was "Kansas Dugout".
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment